The books are set in and around the small, yet very real, city of Forks, Washington (see Forks, Washington), which has seen over a 50% increase in tourism from fans of the series. The popularity and interest in seeing the locations in the book firsthand completely caught the city off-guard, but they have firmly embraced the interest and the fans - With the Chamber of Commerce going so far as to create a driving tour of the various locales (see Forks Chamber of Commerce Twilight Tours).
The filmmakers behind the big screen adaptation of Twilight were interested in filming in the real Forks (and La Push and Port Townsend), but found that the cities were too small to accommodate the cast and crew of a major motion picture production. In addition, the state of Oregon to the south of Washington stepped up to the plate and offered similar settings and a major incentive to lure the production to the state. Filming commenced in northern Oregon (with some filming in southern Washington) and included such Oregon cities as St. Helens, Vernonia, Portland, Oregon City, Carver and more. Needless to say, the locations used in the film have seen a similar growth in tourism to the area.
Filming is already underway on the next entry in the series, New Moon, but the state of Oregon was unable to match the incentives offered in first film and the production has again relocated - this time to Vancouver, British Columbia with a few extra weeks of filming in Italy. However, in anticipation of the DVD's release, we figured we would revisit its time in Oregon and include the list of that actual locations used in the production of Twilight; including both locations seen in the theatrical version, as well as a few that will most likely emerge on the DVD's deleted scenes.
Twilight Film Locations:
- Forks Police Station (Where Bella and Edward discover the death of Charlie's friend)
- Forks High Exteriors (In reality, Kalama High School)
- Forks High Interiors (In reality, Madison High School)
- Petite Jolie (The dress shop)
- Courthouse (Seen outside the dress shop and in possible deleted scenes)
- Bloated Toad (The restaurant)
- Thunderbird and Whale (The bookstore)
- The Alley and Parking Lot (Where Edward comes to Bella's rescue)
- The View Point Inn (The dance)
- The Carver Cafe (Where Charlie and Bella spend time)
- First Beach (Where Jacob tells Bella about Edward)
- Oxbow Park (Part of the meadow scene)
- Stone Cliff Inn (Part of the meadow scene)
- The Greenhouses (The school fieldtrip)
- The Marina (Where Waylon is attacked)
- Industrial Factory (Where the night watchman is attacked)
- Multnomah Falls (Seen in the baseball scene and a major deleted scene)
- Silver Falls State Park (Scenes in the trees and opening deer sequence)